The Donkey Shed Restaurant
Tips and Gratuities Policy for employees of The Donkey Shed Restaurant
For the purpose of this document we will call them tips.
Cash tips collected in the tip jar are distributed at the end of each day as follows
- 10% of total cash tips goes to kitchen employees to be distributed equally between all employees with the exception of the Head Chef
- The remaining cash tips are distributed by supervisor or nominated employee equally between front of house employees who worked that day with the exception of the manager.
- All cash tips must be placed in the tips jar.
Tips via cards.
- Tips via debit/credit card are totaled monthly.
- 10% of this total is distributed to Kitchen employees equally with the exception of the manager. This is paid in addition to basic pay and will be recorded as tips on payslips and will be subject to income tax.
- For front of house employees the remaining tips are divided among employees based on hours worked (or annual leave taken) during the period/month.
Eg Card tips for month of March = €100 10% goes to kitchen employees €10
€90 to be divided among 4 employees
Ann worked 30 hrs
Barney worked 100 hrs
Conor worked 40 hrs
Denise worked 10 hrs
Total hrs worked = 180 hrs €90/180 = €0.5
Ann 30 *.5 =€15
This is paid in addition to basic pay and will be recorded as tips on payslips and will be subject to income tax.
We do not currently apply a service charge in The Donkey Shed Restaurant
Communication of tips and gratuities policy to customers
Tips are always voluntary and at the customers descretion.
Prior to taking a card payment, employees may politely remind a customer that there is an option to add a tip to the card payment but employees may not suggest a tip amount or imply that a tip is mandatory.
If employees would like advice or training in regard to the above, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange same as soon as possible.
Employees observed/reported to be impolite or forceful in this regard will be provided with additional customer service training or in more serious cases where there is judged to be coercion/harassment of customers, be subject to disciplinary procedures.
Please see Policies and Procedures document for full details of disciplinary procedures.
A sign will be displayed in the Restaurant communicating our tips and gratuities policy to customers.
Any questions regarding this policy can be sent to email@example.com